Books

Monday, May 30, 2016

Don't Starve

          A year or three ago (but who's counting) a friend of mine bought me a copy of the video game Don't Starve. As with just about every game I end up loving I held off on even trying it for the longest time. When I finally did start, I was hooked. I could spend nearly a full day's waking hours playing it ang not even notice because I was so entertained.

          The point of the game, for those of you who don't play it yet, is simply to do as the title suggests; don't starve. You are dropped in a world with literally nothing but the clothes on your back in a world where everything and nearly everyone seems to have a vested interest in making sure you die.

          I don't know why its so unbelievably fun. But between the amount of work you have to do and always knowing what your next goal is thr game is just addictive.

          Last year, they started beta-ing Don't Starve Together, which is the multi-player version. My husband and I picked it up. We sorta suck at it thus far, but as before, I enjoy the heck out of playing.

          Its effect on my writing productivity is undeniable though. I get nothing done when its open and I'm playing it. That's one reason why I try not to play unless I know I have no deadlines coming up soon.

          Despite these distractions, I have finished chapter 10, which is the 25% mark, I believe. And now I must put it away and try doing more with that writing. Words are simple. Distractions are hard.

          More updates next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment