Books

Monday, June 6, 2016

An Announcement!

So, I can now officially announce that I will be on at least one panel at When Words Collide 2016. The one panel I can tell you about right now is titled Mythologies Around the World. I suggested this because I was thinking about different ideas that I wanted to see books written about and I really wanted to see mythology and creatures that we haven't seen yet.

We started with European monsters and went from vampires to werewolves. After that we got a run in shifter stories, which simply based on the diversity of creatures has been enjoying a long popularity. We've also seen more than a few books based on witches and native mythology. But I noticed that there isn't much from other areas of the world. I thought having four or five people to talk about a different country or set of countries each that weren't often talked about would be really interesting and informative, especially if you write.

I was considering doing Japan; its a country that I'm very interested in and that I've done a lot of independent study on already. However, I decided that taking that route would be the easy one. Instead, based on my interest in the tales of the lara, a mermaid-type of creature from South America, I decided to choose Brazil.

It's a more difficult route, since I'm going to have to fit in study on a number of different creatures before I decide on exactly what to do the report on and begin planning my part of the presentation. Still, I don't regret my choice. Once I decide what I'm doing the presentation on, I'll let you know in what I'll be doing. In the meantime, if you know of a Brazilian myth, monster or tale that you think I would find interesting, please email the story and creature name to me at InkedFoxPress@gmail.com or just respond in the comments below! Also, share your favourite cultural story or critter you grew up with and where you're from... we're one world and even just a few miles makes a huge difference to the beliefs a group will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment