Books

Friday, October 30, 2020

Come At Me, Bro!

Yesterday, I finished the read-through of my novel. All of the big plot issues have been fixed, but I still have a lot of work to do on it. Three to four scenes need to be added and I may need to rewrite one or two chapters to give them to other characters for balance. That said, I've already fully finished editing chapter one and I can't wait to get more time to work on it in the next few days. 

Part of the reason I'm so excited to work on it is because Kitsune-ken book 5 isn't coming together like I want it to yet. Truly, procrastination is an incredible tool. It is perfectly happy editing Fox's Facade or happily daydreaming about book 6 (which is essentially completely plotted at this point). Book 5 on the other hand is stuck at, "um, well it starts here and then maybe they go here, but I don't know why... I guess maybe they could go... um, well they need to end up over there, at any rate". Okay, I'm exaggerating slightly... I do have a full map and a reason they're heading there... I just don't have anything solid yet for that in-between part.  

I've considered other fixes (writing book 6 first, just editing this Nanowrimo, taking up drinking, etc) but I know those are all procrastination fixes and that won't help anybody. 

Instead, I'm going to have to do something I have only ever done once before; dive headfirst into the darkness in front of me, knowing only that my finish point is somewhere ahead. Much like a game of Don't Starve, I'll have nothing on me when I start the journey other than the desire to survive. I'll have to make my own tools and carve my path with the bits and pieces I find on the way. 

Fortunately, this isn't my first rodeo... Lord's Curse started with only a bit more than that. In the end, you all said that it might even be better than the first book. So, yeah, I know I can do this. 

Come at me, Nano. I'm ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment