Books

Friday, January 3, 2020

Editing Update

Bleh! That first week after the holidays is always difficult, no matter whether you work at a regular office or you work at home. It's so hard to get back into it, to sit down and stare at your keyboard for hours on end. Fortunately, my editor had gotten back to me so I had things to work on. 

The outlook was really good. Overall, she liked the story and mentioned especially that the second half kept her very entertained. The first half, unfortunately, had more problems. Nothing unfixable, of course. The main problem was that I hadn't put in real stakes to any of the problems that the characters were having which was making the reading dry and difficult to get through. She also pointed out that I might want to move the chapters and do a few rewrites to get the motivations to come across more. 

Here was part of my editing. As I mentioned, she suggested more than a bit of moving stuff around, so here was what I ended up with to storyboard the first half of the book.
This may seem like a lot, but this is exactly what a good editor is supposed to do. They look over your work, tell you when you've missed something obvious and how to make your work so much better. I've found that while I love my work, even my earlier version, I think that the new changes will make the story so much better and I can't wait to get it finished for all of you. 

Even better is that there is no "but" included here. Even with the complete overhaul of the first half of Lord's Curse, I'm not expecting any delays. As always, I'll keep you updated on where I am and how soon I can get the story out to you. This story is my priority for the first quarter of 2020 and I am glad that the outlook is so positive! 

This is one of the pictures I was working on this December. My Mom loved it. I didn't expect the black to take over the picture so much, but I really did like the way it turned out. It almost looks like galaxies forming in the upper left and lower right corners. 
Anyways, that's what I've been up to! I hope your first week back at work has been a bit easier for you! I'll end this off by wishing that your home will always be too small to hold all your family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment