Books

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Resolutions

'Tis the time of year to think about them, at least. And its the time of year I hate the most. Mainly because I am a terrible goal setter. That said, I have a few things I do really want/need to accomplish this year. So here's my current list.

* Publish Lord's Curse. Its the big one and the one that I'm most excited about. It requires a heavy edit, then back to my editor, then a lighter edit, followed by general fixes and final proofreading by me, my editor and Grammarly. It also requires a cover, back copy written, promotional material made, formatting and ordering in physical copies before my release date.

* Finish writing Noble's Choice. I have another 40k (approx.) to write on it. The story is coming together nicely. After I finish it, I can put it in a box and ignore it for a year.

* Improve health. I am overweight, but healthy despite that (seriously, my docs run tests and it irritates them). I am also a big proponent of loving yourself at any weight and not falling into the belief that slim equals healthy. That said, I'm working out of the house, and I've noticed that my stamina, flexibility, and balance has suffered, so its time to do something about that. My goal is to start off doing a Fit Boxing workout daily on my Switch and supplementing it with a daily walk when weather permits and some strength training with our home weight sets. I know that my Switch boxing won't teach me to fight, but it will get me moving and count as cardio.

* Open an account on Fiverr. This was an option a friend mentioned I could try. I have been talking about becoming a professional editor and this year will be the year for it. I'm going to start on Fiverr to get a few books under my belt and to see what the job is like before I commit with a full website and such.

* Open an Etsy account. I am an artist and if I want to continue buying art supplies, I need to use them and see if I can make a living selling them. I'm going to start off with art pieces and then open it up into resin and jewelry making eventually.

* Read 75 books. I like making sure that I am continuing to read, no matter how busy my life is. I used to read 100 a year, but now I've lowered that to account for not having as much time on the bus to read.

* Continue to study Japanese and Spanish. By continuing, I mean, try to keep up with it. I fell out of daily practice in October/November and have had a difficult time trying to get back into it. Like with my exercising, I'm going for daily, but if I miss one or two on busy days I'm not going to sweat it.

* Clean house. By which I mean, organize my office, and go through everything on our shelves and hiding away in storage.  Moving has come up as an option, but if we move, we want a condo or apartment rather than a townhouse, which will mean cutting down on all of our excess stuff. And I really need a semi-clean office to work in. I've been avoiding it since our Yule tree is up, but I do need to get back in there and set it up eventually.

* Edit Book 3, tentatively titled Fox... mainly because I can't remember the second part of the working title. Have it edited and ready to go our for December, if possible. I'm speeding up, but I don't know when I'll be starting it, so we'll play that by ear for now.

And I think that's it for now. It's a big list which means I'll be breaking it down to a quarterly one before the first so I can work out my plan of attack on everything. It will be necessary since I'll still be putting resumes out there in the meantime.

What about you? Do you have a list? Do you wing it every year? What sort of things are on your list and why are they important to you? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment