Books

Friday, February 8, 2019

Japan-Inspired Fantasy Novels; Part 2

Today in this sequel post, we're talking about stories that use Asia as a storytelling conduit, whether they are written by Asian writers or not. While there are hundreds out already and more coming out every day, they do tend to be overshadowed in the West. I can understand why... people tend to fall back on what they've always known and if you've never jumped into Asian storytelling before, they can be a bit difficult to understand. There is a reason their anime, manga and television shows always seem weird to us. They have different tropes and different ways of telling their stories than a Western storyteller would. While I find this difference fascinating, especially since I write in what I consider a mixture of both Eastern and Western styles, I know that most people would be snoring by the end of the first paragraph, so I'll spare you and simply say if you're interested in the subject, take a look at this Reddit discussion (I found the first five or so comments give a good primer into the most obvious differences, though I haven't read all eighty-five yet, so I can't guarantee that it stays decent the whole way through). Instead, I will limit myself to suggesting a few of the books that I have felt really stand out and should be read by everyone. This set is going to be in the fiction and urban fantasy genres with the more traditional type of fantasy stories coming in the next installment.

Let's start with the first two that just about everyone has read.


Originally written as a series of blog posts, the story gained international fame when it was picked up by a publisher. Since its first publishing in 2007, it has sold over a million copies in China alone and been made into a movie. Adding to the mystery is that the author's name Ai Mi is a pen name, meaning that nobody knows who the actual author is. Those interesting factoids aside, the story tells a poignant tale of innocence and love during China's cultural revolution between 1966 and 1976. The main character, Jingqiu, is a young girl sent for "re-education" in the countryside. While there she meets the young son of a high-ranking military official. Their love can't happen, yet they can't stay apart, even before love blooms. When I finished reading it, I actually cried. Despite the translation making the story seem a bit wooden, this is a book that will make you feel for the main characters lost in a changing world. If you aren't one of the millions who have already read this book, pick it up.


I realize that I will probably take some flak from purists for putting this book on the list. While it is in no way an actual representation of the life of a Geisha, it is a beautifully written story and I will say that I enjoyed it much more than Geisha, A Life, written in response by Mineko Iwasaki (the geisha Arthur Golden spoke to and based his story very loosely on) & Randy Brown. I think that this is due to the story being told as a story and not as a memoir. Chiyo/Sayuri is an active force in her story and her life, even when she's outwardly calm and talking about how she has no power in her own life. On the other hand, Mineko's story is very realistic but she as a person is passive and I found her real-life memoir much less to my taste. On the other hand, I fully admit that I don't generally read memoirs as a genre and if you tend to prefer them, then you may prefer Geisha; A Life to Memoirs of a Geisha. However, it still makes my list as a well-written love story that I think is an engaging surface view into Japan during the early twentieth century.  







I discovered this book randomly through an Amazon ad or something mid-last year and I was drawn in by the cover. Still, I didn't buy it, and just sort of hovered around it until November last year. I visited my husband's work for a day and ran out of books to read. That one had recently come up on my list again and it was on sale, so I grabbed it and started reading... and couldn't put it down. I think it took me all of a day or two to read it and within moments of finishing it, I had picked up the next two. The main character, Emi, is the chosen of Amaterasu, the sun goddess of Japan and the one to which Japan's royal family supposedly trace their family roots to(I've included the link to her Wikipedia page here, as I find Japanese mythology incredibly interesting). Unfortunately, Emi's life changes when she saves the life of a kitsune and discovers that being the chosen of Amaterasu may mean giving up her life to the goddess. The series is an urban fantasy that kept me entertained and hooked the entire ride. In addition, the author has put 2-3 pictures in the book, showing the characters. It was a really nice touch, and something I'm hoping to do with my books one day (though probably not with my first few)





I picked up this novel when I happened to get lucky and see the cover at the 2016 When Words Collide convention. I started reading it soon after and pretty much couldn't put it down. This novel doesn't quite fit in with the other novels in this list for one main reason; it doesn't take place in Japan or any part of Asia. Instead, it takes place in Toronto, Canada. The main character, Tori, is a first-generation Canadian haunted by the death of her elder brother, trying to come to terms with not only his death but her own guilt over not wanting to follow the path her well-meaning parents have set for her while trying to understand who she wants to be. I won't say anymore so that I don't spoil the ending, but I will say go out and buy this one. This is a book that does not get enough love considering how incredibly well-written it is. The twist at the end of the story isn't surprising, but it hits hard, almost like a physical punch to the gut and the catharsis at the end of the book brings everything to a close brilliantly. If you haven't already, this book is one to pick up. 

I have four more books to do but unfortunately, those won't be coming out next week as I have a surprise for you all... Drum roll, please.........


I'll be revealing my cover on 
FEBRUARY 15th!!!!

You'll finally get to see my beautiful cover and find out when the novel itself will be released! Keep an eye here over the next week! I'll be sharing little tidbit posts about the book all week to get you as hyped for the cover release as I am! Also, if you have any questions, please ask them here or on Facebook and those questions may show up in a post here as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment