Books

Friday, January 22, 2021

"Excuse my rudeness, but please RIP"

Hello! First, for this week, I'm having a bit of a week over here. I still can not figure out why computer audio isn't working... Hopefully fixed next week. 

Instead of dwelling on all of that, I'm going to introduce you to one of the Hololive stars that I follow. What is Hololive, you ask? Hololive is one of the main VTuber enterprises. A Japanese business, they're basically in the business of making virtual idols. Some are just really fun to watch while they're gaming or hanging out, some are great singers or they have a great character theme. They all have individual "history" and character stories that they stick to completely. Essentially, when they are performing, that is who they are. And its wonderful. 

The one I particularly want to introduce you to is one of the latest batch. She speaks mostly English, though she does flip into Japanese every once in a while. Her name is Calliope Mori. Her schtick is that she's a reaper of death on vacation in the mortal world. A fun enough premise regardless, but the reason I really like her, aside from her kickass tsundere personality and her on-screen "romance" (as far as any tsundere has a romance storyline) with one of the other characters (a phoenix named Kiara, one of my other favorites to check out), is her music. I tend to enjoy pop music, but this girl raps, mixed with a bubblegum sound and I love it. Here's my favorite song of hers below, though I wholly suggest you listen to all five of her current songs. 



Now, aside from the fun of watching fun people having a great time (let's face it, you watch Vtubers for the same reason you watch any of these people, because they have fun personalities), one fringe benefit I'm noticing is that you will get more used to hearing Japanese spoken more easily, so long as you're listening for it and trying not to rely on the subtitles you can put up. It's fun to be listening and realize that I was able to translate a sentence with my minor knowledge of the language. 

Do you watch any Vtubers? Which ones? Let me know, as always, in the comments below or on Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment