Books

Friday, July 24, 2020

Currently Reading

Its been a while since I've done a "currently reading" catch up, so this week, I'll be listing out what I've been reading lately and what I've thought about each book. 



Most recently, I finished Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs. It's fun and a good book, like most of her Mercy Thompson series. Not the best of the series by any stretch, but certainly somewhere in the middle there. Worth a read if you like Urban Fantasy. If anyone was put off by the love triangle in the first few books, by book 3 or so she has 100% chosen and it isn't an issue anymore. Stick with it, that part goes away. 

Just a few days before that I finished the latest Guild Codex series release, Lost Talismans and a Tequila by Annette Marie. A fun bit of urban fantasy that I highly suggest... as highly as I suggest the Mercy Thompson series. If you enjoy urban fantasy and haven't read either of these series, you're doing yourself a disservice. Go pick up the first one. You won't be disappointed. 

Another book I read is the first book in the Log Horizon light novel series by Mamare Touno. The third season of the anime is coming out later this year in the fall. You can't go wrong with this series. Some may find it a bit wooden to read, due to its translated status. Push past that. The characters are fun and the world-building is top-notch. 

I decided on a lark to read the C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers series again. I finished that series early in July. Again, this is one of the urban fantasy novels that I highly suggest you read. Its one of the series I'll return to again and again. Check them out. 

I read Wolf's Whisper by Arizona Tape earlier this month as well. This one, I can't suggest, unfortunately. The writer writes desire well, but the MC is more than a bit on the stupid side, everyone is an emotional bomb and I still can't tell you if this was supposed to be fantasy, Asian fantasy, urban fantasy, or something else. It was a harem, which was fine, but it was a harem in which there is no sex. Considering that the MC often forgot about her quest in favor of thinking about sleeping with her harem, this is a bit unforgivable. 

Right now, I'm reading the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. Starting with Meat Cute, the latest release detailing the oft-mentioned "hedgehog incident", it tells the meet-cute of our heroine Alexia Tarabotti and Lord Conall Macon. Technically, its book 0.75 of the series, as it happens just a few years before the first book. I would suggest you read the Parasol Protectorate series first if you haven't already. Otherwise, you may find yourself in for a hell of a ride in the next books. The whole series (steampunk, paranormal romance) is fun and one hell of a ride. Just stick with it past the silliness... or rather, understand that reading it is half the fun and it is meant to be outrageous that way. 

The other book I'm reading right now is The Undine's Tear by Talena Winter's. So far, its got my nod of approval. This is a fantasy about a mermaid type woman who has to heal the stone that powers everything for her people... set in an alternate earth, it seems most normal people don't even know the merpeople, known as undines, even exist. So really fun ideas there. 

And that is it for this week. Tell me what you've been reading lately and whether you've liked them. Also, can you let me know where you'd like me to link each book to? The Kindle ebook? The physical book from Amazon? Goodreads? Let me know and in the future, I'll see about finding the links that you'd prefer I connect to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment