Books

Friday, August 2, 2019

Rules for Conventions

I was going to talk about the religion in my novels this week, but I think I'm too excited about my convention happening next weekend to even think about it. Yes, that's right. For all of you out there who will be in Calgary next weekend, I will be at When Words Collide! While I understand that the actual convention is sold out, you can still see me for free during the signing on Saturday evening to get your book signed. Check here for the full list of authors and bring all of your books to get signed by not just me. Or you can check out the sale area (which I believe is open for everyone and not just attendees) and pick up books from your fav authors to get signed.  

I do feel the need to remind everyone that will be attending on proper etiquette during the con. First, the most important rule of any convention for any type of event is the rule of 1,2,3. That is no less than 1 shower a day, 2 meals, and 3 hours of sleep. More is encouraged, but you cannot have less than what is listed here (no matter how awesome the parties may be, or good the shows are to try and stop you from leaving to eat... and no less than one shower a day should be obvious as well). 

The second rule, good for any convention but most especially for conventions where you hope to learn something, is to have a really good notebook and a decent selection of pens, pencils, and 1-3 highlighters. I prefer moleskins that are around the 5"x7" size, but whatever is your preference, use it for a few weeks first so that you know you like it. Also, find a way to carry your said pens/pencils easily so they are all easily grabbable. I suggest mechanical pencils (pre-loaded with extra lead so you never need to worry about sharpening them), with full (nearly) unused erasers on top.  I suggest at least two pens. Use your pens in advance so you'll know if they tend to blob, run, and how long it will take the ink to dry, so you won't be running your hands through wet ink smudging all your notes into an incomprehensible mess. The highlighter is less important, but I do suggest one if only to highlight your preferred courses and super important information during the panels. 

The third rule is to remember to order anything you need from a business standpoint a full month or more in advance. This includes any business cards, books, bookmarks, posters, etc - anything that you may need. Since you aren't just counting on yourself, but on other people and their schedules; try to give yourself more than enough time to order everything you need. 

Other suggestions are to wear layers. Its easier to put on a sweater or take one off than it is to suffer sweating or freezing all day. Find out if the venue provides water at an easily refilled place. For instance, the hotel for WWC provides pitchers of water in every room for all attendees and glasses for the water. I still suggest bringing your own water bottle though, as the glasses are rather small and you won't have a table to actually keep your glass on. 

And those are my rules for conventions. Do you guys have any other rules that I may not have listed here? Will you be at the con next week? I'll let you know when and where I'll be at the con in my post next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment