Books

Friday, August 23, 2019

Doing the Work

Sometimes all of the well-intentioned planning in the world can't fix a novel. That is what I'm going through with the sequel to Hunter's Gambit. Before I go any further in, I want all of you to know that I'm not saying Lord's Curse is unfixable; in fact, I think I've already got a new plan for it that will make it way better. But that doesn't stop that in all of my original writing, my first edit through and then all of the plotting and planning for this edit didn't work out. And this time I got to the end part and was annoyed that I couldn't think of how to fix the problem I was seeing. I worked on just adding a single chapter, but it felt tacked on, like a badly added box in the game Forts. 

Screencap from the game Forts. Copyright belongs to Forts... I just enjoy the game.

Finally, I had to admit that simply tacking on a chapter wasn't the answer. Instead, I looked at it and decided to take the more difficult route. The entire end needed to be changed and then a new 6,000 to 8,000 words added, with 6k being removed and perhaps moved to the beginning of book 3 instead. 

I've already gotten started on the work and I've got over 1k of the rough draft part of this new 6k already finished, so it won't take me a horribly long time to finish it. The nice part is that even if this is the path that took the most work, I am 100% sure that it is the correct route to take and that makes the writing come easier, if not easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment