Books

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Gotta Catch 'Em All

          This week, I'm feeling the need to talk about Pokemon Go. In case you've been living under a rock, Pokemon Go is a new mobile game based on the popular game of the same name(sans the 'Go' part). Basically, your job is to catch mostly adorable pocket monsters and teach them to fight to the death for your honour (don't worry, you can always revive a fallen ally).

          I'm only exaggerating a bit here, as is my usual wont, of course. While I was never a huge fan of the show, I kept abreast enough to become at least casually acquainted with it. The video game always annoyed me though. What I always wanted from the game was more a strategic game like Final Fantasy Tactics, played with the critters as your pawns and ally's.

          Still, when they announced the mobile game I was excited. The early ads for the game showed movement, outside, having to find your pokemon, train them, trading them and fighting battles not only at gyms but with friends and strangers.

          The current game is not offering us all of that. There is movement, outside wandering... We can train our Pokemon to a point and battle them in gyms, again to a point. And I have to say, I'm enjoying it.

          It is nice to have a reason to get outside, to have fiero moments while out walking. Walking is one of my least favourite things to do and I went out walking on both Monday and Tuesday. Not for very long, as I had a killer head cold, but I was getting out.

          There have been news reports about people getting hurt of course. As with any new-fangled thing, some people seem determined to find ways to misuse it. As with anything, blame the idiots, not the technology. You wouldn't blame books because someone was reading while drving, right? It's the same thing.

          Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll have some pictures of the game to share. Until then, are you playing? Are you enjoying it? If you're not playing, why? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment