Books

Friday, November 22, 2019

You Got This

Writing is an incredible job, my favourite hobby, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. Let's start off saying that. There are days when I can write over a thousand words every hour. All of these words are good, strong additions to my book, words I'm proud to have written. Even the more average days when I've only written fifteen hundred to two thousand words during that time, I'm still happy to have gotten a chapter finished. Last night was one of a very small subset of bad days when despite sitting at my computer for 6-8 hours, I end up with 400-500 words and none of them are good.

Days like that last one make you rethink the whole writing thing. Fortunately, I've been writing long enough to know how to deal with these days... you push as hard as you can and take the next day, maybe two, getting your groove back on.

So, what does this mean? It means I'm just a bit behind on my word count. I'm not worried... I'll probably be back on track before I head to sleep on Saturday morning. Still, days like this are irritating. Why am I talking about it today?

Because somewhere out there is a new writer, one who doesn't know what it can be like. I want them to know that these days are temporary and fleeting and to treat them as such. You wouldn't think that your bad mood will last forever... I can promise you, neither will your writing slump.

Don't worry about it. You got this.


No comments:

Post a Comment